The Navigators — a Colorado Springs-based ministry that began in 1933 and today is found on college campuses, military bases and in communities — has always been known as a ministry of prayer. The Navigators emphasize the fact that Jesus' followers live in desperate dependence upon the Lord.
Followers of Christ must remember just how vital our relationship with Him is. "I am the vine; you are the branches," Jesus said. "If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).
"The Hand" Illustration
The Navigators' traditional illustration of a hand will help you get a better grasp of prayer in your day-to-day walk with God:
• Pinky — Confession (1 John 1:9): Agreeing with God about my sin
• Ring — Petition(1 Samuel 1:27; Samuel asked of God): Asking God for my needs
• Middle — Intercession(Ephesians 6:18-19): Praying for others
• Index — Thanksgiving(Ephesians 5:20): Thanking God for what He has done for me
• Thumb — Praise(Psalm 146:1-2): Voicing my wonder about who God is
Remember, prayer is not only an action (work), but an attitude (1 Samuel 12:23). In addition, as the thumb touches all four fingers, so praise should permeate my whole prayer life.