Safeguards for Video Gameplay
Do you have a child who loves to play video games? These safeguards will help counter the possible ill effects.
In order to diminish the adverse effects that video games may have on your child, consider the following safeguards:
- Set time limits.
- Make sure your child completes his chores and homework before play.
- Be intimately involved in choosing the games your child plays.
- Remember: you are the grown-up! Model good viewing and gaming habits yourself.
- Suspend play if your child is having difficulty with self-control.
- Monitor attitudes and behaviors with your child when he plays with friends or siblings.
- Encourage your child's friends to play at your house.
- Watch for signs of addiction to video game play, particularly with boys.