Though many books on personality typing are available today, Hippocrates laid the foundation for subsequent discussions of personality when he identified the personality types nearly twenty-five hundred years ago. The four types and some of their commonly recognized characteristics are:
Whether or not these terms are familiar to you, you've probably intuited a lot about your child's personality type just by noticing his everyday reactions and motivations. The following quiz will help you recognize what you already know about your child — and better understand why he behaves the way he does.
1. You can truthfully say, "I'd be a millionaire if only I could bottle and sell my child's ..."
2. Your son keeps you up until 2 a.m. the night before his school's science fair because
3. When you take your daughter to her first overnight camp, you are impressed because your child
4. Your daughter comes home from school crying because
5. When your child's teacher tells you how much she enjoys having your son in class, it is most likely because
6. At age four, your child likes playing in the big sandbox at the park because
7. Your child's excuse for not cleaning her room on Saturday morning is that
8. When you ask your child whether he'd like to return to your family's favorite vacation spot or take a sightseeing tour to New York City this summer, he says
9. Other people are always remarking on your child's
If you circled mostly 1's, your child is likely a sanguine and primarily interested in being with other people and having fun.
If you circled mostly 2's, your child is probably a melancholy who wants to get things just right.
If you circled mostly 3's, your child is most likely a phlegmatic who cares deeply about others' feelings.
If you circled mostly 4's, your child is probably a choleric who values adventure and being the leader.
Note: Many children have several characteristics from two of these types.
Taken from Delight in Your Child's Design published by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Copyright © 2005 by Laurie Winslow Sargent. All rights reserved.