Talking Points (Abortion)
- We desire to end the practice of abortion: making it both illegal and unthinkable.
- Pre-born babies in the womb are indisputably human, and the intentional killing of any human at any stage of development is morally wrong.
- The practice of abortion places women at risk.
- Women having abortions face a number of possible physical complications, including problems with future pregnancies.
- Studies find reported substance abuse and suicide as more common among women who abort their pregnancies as compared to those who give birth.
- We desire to decrease the number of abortions committed each year, working within present legal restraints to incrementally curtail the practice of abortion.
- We support federal and state legislation placing limits and restrictions on abortion, including:
- State Partial-Birth Abortion bans
- State "Trigger" bans making abortion illegal once Roe v Wade and Doe v Bolton are overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Parental Involvement laws requiring a parent's notification or consent before their minor daughter may have an abortion
- Informed Consent laws requiring that women receive full medical disclosure of possible risks associated with and alternatives to abortion before deciding to have one.
- Waiting or Reflection Period laws requiring a period of time to reflect on the medical information provided before having an abortion.
- Abortion Clinic Regulations laws raising the level of safety and sanitation in freestanding clinics where abortions are performed.
- Fetal Homicide laws recognizing both the mother and preborn child as two individual victims when a violent act is committed against a pregnant woman – injuring or killing her and the fetus.
Copyright © 2008 Focus on the Family. All rights reserved. International copyright secured.