Our Position (The Right to Counseling)
- Focus on the Family is dedicated to defending the honor, dignity and value of the two sexes as created in God's image – intentionally male and female – each bringing unique and complementary qualities to sexuality and relationships.
- Sexuality is a glorious gift from God – meant to be offered back to Him either in marriage for procreation, union and mutual delight or in celibacy for undivided devotion to Christ.
- Homosexual behavior violates God's intentional design for gender and sexuality.
- While we do not believe an individual typically "chooses" his or her same sex-attractions, we do believe that those who struggle with unwanted same-sex sexual temptation can choose to steward their impulses in a way that aligns with their faith convictions.
- We affirm the Scriptural teaching that homosexuals can and do change their sexual identity (1 Cor. 6:9-11).
- We support counseling and the availability of professional therapy options for unwanted homosexual attractions and behavior.
- We do not endorse or promote any one particular religious, psychiatric or psychological approach as the "one and only" way to go about changing same-sex attractions and behaviors.
- Just as there are many paths that may lead a person to experience same-sex attractions, there are likewise multiple ways out. Thus, individuals and their helping professionals are called to discern and pursue the most appropriate approach that best enables them to steward their sexuality in alignment with their chosen values.