Colorado Springs, Colo. – The Option Ultrasound Program has reached a new milestone: 300,000 babies have been saved by providing ultrasound machines and sonography training to qualified pro-life medical clinics in high-abortion communities.
54 percent of abortion-minded women choose life for their babies after seeing an ultrasound image, hearing their baby’s heartbeat and talking with a counselor who helps them think through the support and alternatives available to them.
"It’s good for us to remember during Sanctity of Human Life Month that love, practical help and compassion can make a life-saving difference in the lives of women and their babies, " said Kelly Rosati, vice president of community outreach at Focus. "Our aim this year is for people to see the dignity and honor of two lives – both mom and baby – and to commit to caring for both."
The Value of Two Lives
One way Focus is promoting the inherent value of two lives is through its #iSEETWO social media campaign. The effort will launch in January, which is known as Sanctity of Human Life Month because it marks the anniversary of the Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in all 50 states.
The campaign will feature five influential women:
- Pro-life activist Dr. Alveda King – As the niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., King says that abortion is the civil rights issue of our day, and she speaks to its devastating impact on the African-American community.
- Dr. Freda Bush – Bush is an obstetrician in Jackson, Miss., and encourages those in the medical profession to protect and defend the lives of both their patients: the mother and her preborn child.
- Anne O’Connor, J.D. – O’Connor has dedicated her law career to helping women so they never choose to abort because they feel they have no other choice.
- Susan Thayer – As a former abortion clinic manager, Thayer organized a peaceful "40 Days for Life" prayer vigil outside of her former clinic and now stands for the lives of both mom and baby.
- Maria Gallagher – Gallagher is an advocacy journalist and legislative director for the Pennsylvania Pro-Life Federation. She believes that empowering pregnant women – giving them the support they deserve – is the fundamental human rights issue of the 21st century.
Each woman’s story will be featured in January at the "I Am Pro-Life" Facebook page. There, an #iSEETWO sign can be downloaded so that people can post their own #iSEETWO selfie in support of the beauty of two lives.
Be a Voice throughout the Year
During Sanctity of Human Life Month, Focus’ "Be a Voice" Web page will also provide resources for equipping every person to speak for those who can’t speak for themselves.
The "Dignity of Human Life" toolbox includes a 50-page resource for pastors, church leaders and advocates for the value of human life. The toolbox will also include a video, fliers that feature the five women from the #iSEETWO outreach and the downloadable #iSEETWO sign.
Since its beginning in 2004, Option Ultrasound has provided more than 655 grants – valuing more than $15 million – to qualified pregnancy medical clinics. Focus has also provided about $4.5 million worth of educational resources to pregnancy centers over that same time period.
Focus to release Life-Affirming Documentary in March
As part of Focus’ ministry-wide efforts to be a voice for the sanctity of all human life, Focus on the Family will also be releasing "The Drop Box," a feature-length documentary, in select cinemas nationwide on March 3, 4 and 5, 2015.
The film tells the story of South Korean Pastor Lee Jong-Rak’s efforts to protect and care for newborn babies who might have otherwise been abandoned on the streets of Seoul, South Korea.
To coordinate media interviews, please email Nina.Coppola@fotf.org or call 719-531-3386.