What marriage assessment tools are available from Focus on the Family?
There are a couple of different tools that we recommend, both of which are available through our Focus on the Family website: the Focus on Marriage Assessment, developed here at Focus on the Family by our Marriage department and based on materials originating with Dr. Greg and Erin Smalley; and the Couple Checkup, developed by Dr. David Olson and Dr. Peter Larson at PREPARE/ENRICH in Minnesota. The two programs feature slightly different strengths and emphases. The following bullet-point summaries will help you determine which is best suited to your particular needs:
- This tool is designed to give you a clear snapshot of your relationship, highlighting both your strengths and growth areas whether you are dating, engaged or married.
- The Checkup consists of between 110-130 questions, based on your particular life stage. It takes about thirty minutes to complete. Both partners need to participate.
- Twenty important relationship areas are explored. Also included are questions about your personality and family-of-origin.
- You will receive a fifteen- to twenty-page Computer Report, with your results broken down into relational categories. A Discussion Guide is also available to help you interpret the results.
- The Couple Checkup will help you discover your strengths as a couple. These strengths will enable you to enjoy and continue developing a healthy relationship. It will also help you identify issues that are threatening the vitality of your relationship and that may need to be addressed.
- This valuable information will provide a basis for helpful discussions and opportunities for growth as you prepare for your upcoming marriage journey.
- A powerful and unique aspect of the Checkup is that the questions are tailored to you as couple. Based on background questions you answer, your Checkup will be customized to include questions specific to your couple-type.
- The cost is $30.00.
The Focus on Marriage Assessment
- This program is designed for married couple. As with the Couple Checkup, the goal here is to provide a clear snapshot of your relationship, highlighting both your strengths and growth areas.
- Questions are based on the research of Dr. Greg and Erin Smalley. Greg and Erin have found that there are twelve key behaviors that consistently make up great marriages, including such areas as communication, conflict, commitment, and intimacy. Each spouse can take the quick and easy-to-use Assessment by answering questions that zero in on these twelve essential traits.
- Along with the Assessment results the program will provide references to sound, biblical resources that Focus on the Family has created to help husbands and wives grow in those areas where their relationship need strengthening. Couples can also call the Focus on the Family Counseling hotline for help, counsel, or personal assistance.
- This Assessment is quick and easy to take. It only requires about ten minutes to complete! It's also Web Responsive, which means you can take it via your phone.
- There is no cost. The Focus on Marriage Assessment is free!
If you have additional questions, feel free to call Focus on the Family's Counseling department. They'll be more than happy to discuss your concerns with you person-to-person.
If a title is currently unavailable through Focus on the Family, we encourage you to use another retailer.