2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
red Jolly Rancher candies
plastic zip bag
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then add egg.
3. Combine dry ingredients with butter mixture and mix thoroughly. Add vanilla and almond extract.
4. Cover bowl and refrigerate dough for 45 minutes while you line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
5. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick. Place your hand lightly on top of dough and ask a parent to trace your hand using a butter knife. Cut a small heart out of the center of your cookie hand, using the knife or a cookie cutter.
6. Place hand shapes on cookie sheet.
7. Put candies in a plastic zip bag and use hammer to lightly crush into smaller pieces (not crumbs).
8. Sprinkle candy in the center of each cookie filling the hole.
9. Place cookie sheets in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Bake cookies at 325 degrees for six to eight minutes until candy has melted. Do not overcook.
10. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for three minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Then place each cookie in its own plastic bag.
11. Copy Isaiah 49:16 on a tag and attach to your handy valentines. Give them away as reminders of Jesus’ great love.