1 cup (two sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 can sliced peaches (drain and save juice)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray springform pan or 9-inch cake pan with nonstick spray.
3. Cream together butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Mix in eggs.
4. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
5. Pat mixture into the bottom of the pan. Moisten fingers if they get sticky.
6. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over peaches.
7. Arrange peach slices to create sunrays.
8. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until lightly browned. Place on rack to cool.
9. When cool, release side of springform pan and place cake on plate. If baked in cake pan, leave in pan.
10. Draw and cut out stencil of sunglasses and smile.
11. Secure stencil to cake with pins.
12. Dust powdered sugar over the stencil and the cake.
13. Remove stencil without touching sugar by lifting out the pins.
14. Cut into pie-shaped wedges to serve. Or add a dollop of ice cream and drizzle with peach sauce.
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup drained peach juice (add water to make 1 cup liquid)
1. In a saucepan, mix together sugar and cornstarch.
2. Add peach juice and whisk until blended.
3. Cook on medium heat. Stir constantly until sauce thickens and boils.
4. Remove from heat. If you have extra peach slices, chop and add.