rainbow-colored licorice twists
1. With clean kitchen scissors, carefully cut the licorice twists into 1/4-inch pieces. The pieces may squash when cut. If they do, gently squeeze to reopen holes in center and create small, six-sided “beads.”
2. Cut beads from each of the six flavors, so you have a rainbow of colors.
3. Place a baking sheet on a firm surface. Cover the baking sheet with a soft dish towel.
4. Cut two pieces of parchment paper the size of the baking sheet. Place one piece on top of the towel.
5. Arrange the beads on the parchment paper in a colorful design. Make sure beads touch each other. Start with easy designs, such as flowers, hearts or rainbows.
6. When your design is complete, place the second parchment paper on top.
7. With an adult’s help, place a dry iron heated to the “cotton” setting on top of the parchment paper. Hold the iron in place for 10 to 15 seconds or until the beads stick together.
8. Let design cool briefly. Carefully flip over the two pieces of parchment paper and place back on the towel. Press the heated iron on this side for 10 to 15 seconds.
9. Peel off the top parchment paper. When licorice cools, remove the designs from the parchment paper and place on a plate.
10. Enjoy your beautiful creations or give them to a friend.