Dried lavender was a popular baking ingredient in the 1800s. Lavender even grows in the herb garden at the Star-Spangled Banner Flag House Museum in Baltimore, Maryland.
You can read more about the flag that inspired “The Star-Spangled Banner” in the July 2021 issue.
1 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender, finely chopped
1. Cream butter, sugar, honey and vanilla until fluffy.
2. Add flour, salt and lavender. Mix until combined.
3. Place sheet of plastic wrap on the counter. Shape the dough into a log 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
5. Spray large baking sheet with cooking oil. Set aside.
6. Remove plastic wrap from dough and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices on baking sheet.
7. Bake 17 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown around the edges.