1 egg white
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
red food coloring
Caution: Candy-making is complicated and dangerous. Do not attempt this recipe without a parent’s help and the right equipment.
1. Beat egg white with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks.
2. Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan. Stir until sugar dissolves.
3. With a parent’s help, heat mixture until a candy thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Cooks call this the “soft ball” stage.
4. Slowly pour hot syrup over egg whites. Beat until mixture is very stiff.
5. Mix in peppermint extract and a few drops of food coloring.
6. Scoop by teaspoon onto a sheet of waxed paper, swirling the tops for decoration. You can also use a pastry bag.
7. Let mint puffs cool on the counter until firm.