1-1/2 cups hot water
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup flaked coconut
green candy melts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
2. In small bowl, combine hot water and oats. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugars. Mix in eggs.
4. When oatmeal is soft, add to second bowl. Mix well.
5. Sift flour, baking soda and spices. Mix into batter.
6. Pour batter into greased pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
7. While the cake cools, make the topping. Mix melted butter, cream and vanilla.
8. Stir in sugar, then add nuts and coconut.
9. Set oven to broil. Raise oven rack 6 inches from the top.
10. Spread topping over warm cake.
11. With a parent’s help, broil for 2 minutes or until the topping bubbles.
12. Remove cake from oven. Serve warm or cool.
To make the cake extra festive, trace a shamrock onto wax paper. Melt green candy melts according to package directions and place in piping bag. Pipe candy over shamrock shape, then cool until firm.