My Spouse Physically Abuses Our Children

My husband has never been violent with me, but it is an entirely different story where our children are concerned. He is frequently lashes out at them physically, and has seriously injured them on more than one occasion. I want to protect them, but I'm terrified of how he may react if I challenge him. What can I do?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email

This is an urgent situation. If your husband has indeed “seriously injured” your children “on more than one occasion,” the time for discussion is past. You must take decisive action at the earliest opportunity.

We understand your fears and hesitations, of course. You know better than we do exactly how your husband is likely to respond if you cross him. It’s possible that you would be endangering yourself by standing up to him on the kids’ behalf. That’s a matter of serious concern. Nevertheless, you still need to listen to your maternal heart do what it tells you. If you think about it, you’ll see that this is a case where love and concern for your children’s safety trumps every other consideration. There really is no other choice.

Exactly what do we mean by “decisive action”? A great deal depends upon your immediate circumstances. Are your children facing imminent danger? Have they just been subjected to physical harm? If so, don’t waste time talking or arguing. Call 911 without delay. Let the police intervene and allow the process to unfold from there. Otherwise you could be held legally liable for any harm that might come to your kids.

If several days have passed since the latest violent episode and there is not a threat of immediate danger, contact Child Protective Services. Don’t assume that the abusive behavior won’t recur. That would be to run an unnecessary risk. If the threat to your own safety is too great, remember that you have other options. There are alternatives to making the report yourself. A doctor, a teacher, a school counselor or nurse, a social worker – any one of these professionals would be legally responsible to make the report on your behalf if you were to open your heart to them.

Once the facts are out in the open, you may need to create a crisis by giving your husband an ultimatum. Let him know that there can be no question of maintaining the status quo. How should you go about this? We suggest you begin by setting up an appointment for yourself and the children with a family counselor, preferably a therapist who understands the dynamics of abuse, power, and control, and who is well trained in the highly specialized field of crisis intervention. Tell your husband that this is absolutely necessary in order to protect the children and preserve the integrity of the family. Next, insist that he also seek out the help of a professional counselor. This should take place separately from you and the children, at least in the beginning phases of the process, as it is possible for an abusive spouse to manipulate a joint counseling session and subsequently turn it to his own advantage or use it as an excuse for further abusive behavior. If he refuses, make it clear that, either way, you and the children will be moving out and living someplace else until such time as the problem is resolved.

In connection with this last piece of advice, you should bear in mind that this probably isn’t going to be a quick and easy process. Abuse is usually rooted in deeply entrenched patterns of thought and behavior, and you can’t expect those patterns to be reversed in a couple of counseling sessions.

If this sounds extreme, bear in mind that it’s absolutely necessary for the children’s protection. It may also represent your last best hope for redeeming this tragic situation and preserving the integrity of your family. Naturally, you’ll want to make sure that your support system is in place and that you actually have someplace to go before you put the matter to him in these terms. See if you can stay in the home of a friend, family member, or neighbor. Lay your plans, line up your resources, and make your arrangements prior to packing your bags and walking out the door.

Focus on the Family’s Counseling staff can provide you with referrals to qualified marriage and family therapists practicing in your area. They would also consider it a privilege to discuss your situation with you over the phone if you think this might be helpful. You can contact our Counseling department for a free consultation.


If a title is currently unavailable through Focus on the Family, we encourage you to use another retailer.

Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse

The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It

Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Marriages in Crisis



Life Skills International

Celebrate Recovery

Play It Safe: Dealing With Domestic Violence

Understanding Emotional Abuse

Copyright © 2011, Focus on the Family.

Talk to a Counselor

Focus on the Family offers a one-time complimentary consultation from a Christian perspective.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email

Thank you [field id="first_name"] for signing up to get the free downloads of the Marrying Well Guides. 

Click the image below to access your guide and learn about the counter-cultural, biblical concepts of intentionality, purity, community and Christian compatibility.

(For best results use IE 8 or higher, Firefox, Chrome or Safari)

To stay up-to-date with the latest from Boundless, sign up for our free weekly e-newsletter.

If you have any comments or questions about the information included in the Guide, please send them to [email protected]

Click here to return to Boundless

Focus on the Family

Thank you for submitting this form. You will hear from us soon. 

The Daily Citizen

The Daily Citizen from Focus on the Family exists to be your most trustworthy news source. Our team of analysts is devoted to giving you timely and relevant analysis of current events and cultural trends – all from a biblical worldview – so that you can be inspired and assured that the information you share with others comes from a reliable source.

Alive to Thrive is a biblical guide to preventing teen suicide. Anyone who interacts with teens can learn how to help prevent suicidal thinking through sound practical and clinical advice, and more importantly, biblical principles that will provide a young person with hope in Christ.

Bring Your Bible to School Day Logo Lockup with the Words Beneath

Every year on Bring Your Bible to School Day, students across the nation celebrate religious freedom and share God’s love with their friends. This event is designed to empower students to express their belief in the truth of God’s Word–and to do so in a respectful way that demonstrates the love of Christ.

Focus on the Family’s® Foster Care and Adoption program focuses on two main areas:

  • Wait No More events, which educate and empower families to help waiting kids in foster care

  • Post-placement resources for foster and adoptive families

Christian Counselors Network

Find Christian Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Psychologists, Social Workers and Psychiatrists near you! Search by location, name or specialty to find professionals in Focus on the Family’s Christian Counselors Network who are eager to assist you.

Boundless is a Focus on the Family community for Christian young adults who want to pursue faith, relationships and adulthood with confidence and joy.

Through reviews, articles and discussions, Plugged In exists to shine a light on the world of popular entertainment while giving you and your family the essential tools you need to understand, navigate and impact the culture in which we live.

Have you been looking for a way to build your child’s faith in a fun and exciting way?
Adventures in Odyssey® audio dramas will do just that. Through original audio stories brought to life by actors who make you feel like part of the experience; these fictional, character-building dramas use storytelling to teach lasting truths.

Focus on the Family’s Hope Restored all-inclusive intensives offer marriage counseling for couples who are facing an extreme crisis in their marriage, and who may even feel they are headed for divorce.