Common symptoms of post-abortion syndrome
- Feelings of guilt, anxiety, and remorse
- Avoidance behaviors
- Depression and loss of self-esteem
- A sense of helplessness
- A fear of failure
Symptoms specifically common to post-abortal women
- Anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- An aversion to situations involving pregnant women and babies
- Disruption of bonding with present or future children
- Anniversary reactions
Symptoms specifically common to post-abortal men
- Intense anger
- Cycles of depression
- Addictive behaviors
- Mistrust of women
- Difficulty with close relationships
- A tendency to become involved in promiscuity or pornography as a way of regaining sexual “power”
Where to find help
Not every individual will display all of these symptoms, of course. But if you or someone you know has had an abortion, there’s a good chance that the experience has had a stronger impact than you realized.
If this is your situation and you’d like to talk more about your concerns, call our Counseling department for a free over-the-phone consultation. Our counselors are all licensed therapists and would be glad to come alongside you in any way they can.
If a title is currently unavailable through Focus on the Family, we encourage you to use another retailer.
Hope & Healing After Abortion (resource list)