Step 1: Go someplace different for dinner.
Step 2: “When the going gets tough …”
Devise a Date Night experience that encourages both partners to see the surprising opportunities for growth that sometimes lie hidden in unexpected, uncomfortable, or frightening situations. For example:
- Go to the gym and work out together. Push yourselves to surpass previously established limits of endurance. Encourage one another when the going gets tough.
- Go for a long-distance run through the city. Build some challenges into this run, and take time to help each finish the course.
- Plan a group outing centered around outreach to the needy. Hand out snacks and drinks in some public place where homeless people are known to congregate. Look for opportunities to share your faith and be prepared for the unexpected.
- What was your favorite part of the evening?
- What is the one thing you learned tonight that you didn’t know about me before?
- How has this date shown you something about the ways in which tough situations can become opportunities for learning and growth? How do you think those opportunities can be used to strengthen your relationship as a couple?
- What are some other ways you can keep your eyes open for unexpected opportunities as you meet the day-to-day challenges of the coming week?
Step 3: Relax and unwind. Ready to answer a few questions?
Step 4: Home sweet home. Let’s plan our next date!
Think about additional ways you can make the most of stressful situations in the daily grind of life.