In order to diminish the adverse effects that video games may have on your child, consider the following safeguards:
- Set time limits.
- Make sure your child completes his chores and homework before play.
- Be intimately involved in choosing the games your child plays.
- Remember: you are the grown-up! Model good viewing and gaming habits yourself.
- Suspend play if your child is having difficulty with self-control.
- Monitor attitudes and behaviors with your child when he plays with friends or siblings.
- Encourage your child’s friends to play at your house.
- Watch for signs of addiction to video game play, particularly with boys.